Originally released by Pyro in 1998, Commandos is a cult PC classic and Kalypso are remaking the second game in the franchise.
Commandos is a legendary game and for those who haven’t played, it is a masterpiece of a game that defined a genre. Eash level as multiple ways to complete. Each commando has its own skills and abilities.
- Silently kill your enemies with the Green Beret.
- Take out enemies from a distance with the Sniper.
- Set traps or run enemies over with the Driver.
- Distract and eliminate enemy soldiers unnoticed with the Spy.
- Shake things up with the Sapper or use naval warfare with the Diver.
- Return to beautifully rendered HD locations like Germany, France, Thailand and Burma.
- Re-imagined in HD with reworked controls, modernized UI and overhauled tutorial.
- Interactive environments: steal enemy uniforms and weapons, climb poles, swing from cables, swim, utilize vehicles, and climb in/out of buildings, ships and planes.
- Control nine unique commandos, each with different skills and specializations including green beret, sniper, demolition expert, diver, seductress and thief.
- The Commandos series’ first appearance in a modern 3D Engine: rotate the environment 360 degrees move seamlessly in and out of buildings, submarines, planes and underwater, and zoom in and out of the environment.
- Authentic WWII scenarios: 10 missions spanning 9 different environments in night and day, with realistic weather effects.
- The choice is yours: how you tackle each mission is up to you. Experiment with skills and weapons in a challenging “against the odds” gameplay style.
WWII vehicles and weapons, including jeeps, tanks, trucks, ships, bazookas and flame-throwers.
Commandos is a classic for a reason and seeing the work that England based developer Yippee! have done on the remaster, there is no reason this shouldn’t be received as well as the original PC game.
One of the most exciting points of Commando’s release is that this legendary band of brothers is coming to console too!
One of the core aspects of Commandos is the abilities of each character. Each commando brings their own unique abilities and skills that you employ to succeed in every mission. You don’t
- Jack (Butcher) O’Hara, (The Green Beret)
- The iconic figure of the Commandos series. Jack is an Irish sergeant codenamed “Tiny”. In the game, he is the toughest commando and the only one strong enough to lift heavy items, such as fuel barrels and boxes. He can also stab enemies with his combat knife and conceal himself in most soft surfaces to hide from enemies’ view.
- Sir Francis T. Woolridge, (The Sniper)
- The Sniper is a British operative codenamed “Duke”. In the game, he is the team’s sharpshooter, who can easily take out single targets from a great distance.
- Sidney Perkins, (The Driver)
- An American operative also known as “Tread”. He is the only commando who can drive tanks, set various traps and throw Molotov cocktails and smoke grenades.
- Thomas Hancock, (The Sapper)
- A British operative codenamed “Inferno”. He is an expert in explosives and heavy weapons, such as flamethrowers and bazookas. He is also the only commando who can operate and fire the turret of a tank. He is therefore essential if you want to wreak havoc behind enemy lines together with The Driver.
- James Blackwood, (The Diver)
- An Australian operative known as “Fins”. He can dive underwater to hide from any enemy’s view. He can even stay underwater indefinitely using his scuba gear. He can also use a grappling hook and throw knives. He is the best choice to reach almost unreachable areas and as he is the only commando able to pilot a rowing boat, can also transport his allies to places they otherwise couldn’t get to.
- René Duchamp, (The Spy)
- A French operative known as “Spooky”. He can disguise himself as any enemy soldier or officer to distract enemies and, when disguised as officer, can also order lower ranking enemy units to look in a certain direction or walk to nearby places. He cannot punch out enemies, but can use a poison syringe to daze, knock-out or even kill.
- Paul Toledo, (The Thief)
- A French operative known as “Lupin”. He is the sneakiest commando, who can climb certain walls and jump through windows. He can also lockpick boxes and certain doors and knock opponents out with a kick.
- Natasha Nikochevski, (The Seductress)
- A Soviet operative from Kiev codenamed “Lips”. She can distract enemy soldiers and dress as enemy operatives. She can also use a sniper rifle.
- A bull terrier dog, whose original owner was a member of the French resistance until they were killed. He can be used to distract enemies. Commandos can use a dog whistle to pass items between each other.
Commandos is due for release at the end of this year on Ps4, Xbox One, Nintendo switch….even Android and IoS tablets! No platform is safe from these heroes. so say tuned for our full review.