2K Games are taking their long-running WWE franchise away from the simulation genre and bringing smashing and crashing into the arcade-style brawler genre with WWE 2K Battlegrounds.
In a much-needed overhaul of the franchise, we see a massive shift in graphics to a more cartoon interpretation of your favourite wrestlers that favours the small body, big head approach to design and over the top gameplay that quite frankly has been a long time coming.
As you can see by the trailer above none other than Paul Heyman himself introduced the new game modes which are:
- Campaign Mode: Throwdown in this single-player story mode told through a comic art style as you add to your stable of WWE Superstars to overcome the next challenge. Team up with Paul Heyman and Stone Cold Steve Austin as you travel the globe in search of new Superstars for an all-new WWE brand. Play as one of the seven newly-created Superstars, such as Bolo Reynolds and Jessica Johnson, as you travel across several regions battling WWE Superstars, achieving campaign goals and unlocking various WWE Superstars, power-ups and items;
- Exhibition Mode: Brawl with your friends or family, with up to four-player action online or on the couch in your favourite match types, including:
- Tag Team;
- Triple Threat;
- Fatal Four Way;
- Steel Cage Match;
- Royal Rumble;
- King of The Battleground Mode: Battle to become the Last Man (or Woman) Standing as you and up to seven other online players burn it down and try to toss one another out of the ring! The longer you stay in the arena, the higher your score climbs. The second you send someone flying, another Superstar waiting outside the ring enters the fray;
- Online Tournament Mode: Take the action online for rewards in a variety of time-limited tournaments featuring a wide range of win conditions. Keep an eye out… you never know when a new Battlegrounds tournament might be kicking off;
- Battleground Challenge Mode: Brawl from the bottom all the way to the top! Create your own WWE Superstar and overcome all the odds stacked against you.
WWE 2K BAttlegrounds is the first time in a hell of a long time we here at Stoffel Presents have been looking forward to a WWE game. Of course, we will keep you up to date with more news as we get it but in the meantime be sure to check out the games social media accounts become a fan on Facebook, follow the game on Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #WWE2KBattlegrounds or subscribe on YouTube.